Lights, Camera, Glow! Silver Bells in the City set for Nov. 22
FOX 47 News
Photo Courtesy of Silver Bells in the City
LANSING — The entire city will be aglow Friday, Nov. 22, 2013 for the 29th Silver Bells in the City. The event brings together family and friends from all over Michigan to celebrate the holiday season.
This year features even more activities and special outdoor performances, all highlighted by the 17th annual Electric Light parade which steps off at 6:00 p.m., from the corner of South Washington Square and Lenawee.
Immediately following the parade, crowds will count-down in anticipation of the lighting of the State Christmas tree, followed by a spectacular fireworks display cascading over the Capitol dome (weather permitting).
Check out all of the exciting Silver Bells festivities this year:
• Kick off the fun with the 3rd annual Silver Bells Fun Run! The run will include two loops of the parade route, and will benefit Silver Bells in the City and the Chris & Louise Holman Foundation. The run/walk starts at 5:00 p.m. at the corner of Ottawa and Capitol Avenue. Registration is $25, participants 12 and under with a long sleeve t-shirt is $10, and 12 and under without t-shirt is free. The run is limited to 1,000 participants. Visit https://runsignup.com/Race/MI/Lansing/SilverBellsFunRun to register.
• The Silver Bells Shopping Village located on East Allegan Street between South Washington Square and Grand Avenue will feature holiday crafts, homemade treats and other delights for eager shoppers.
• The 29th Silver Bells in the City commemorative holiday ornament is available for purchase online at www.silverbellsinthecity.org. The ornament has been hand-crafted by local artist, Tiffany Klein of La Fille Gallery in Lansing. They will be sold the night of the event at the Silver Bells Shopping Village, La Fille Gallery and at the Lansing City Market.
• Enjoy music, games and prizes with the Radio Disney Road Crew before the parade starts, from 5:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m. on the steps of the Capitol building.
• The Festival welcomes talented boy band, IM5 to the stage as this year’s headline performer. IM5 is hosted by Radio Disney and Citizens Insurance immediately following the fireworks show on the Capitol steps. Opening for IM5 is YouTube sensation Macy Kate.
• Returning this year is the Lansing Board of Water and Light Toy Mill, complete with an interactive water and light exhibit. Bring an
unwrapped toy to the 200 block of North Washington Square to be distributed to underprivileged children through the Marine Corps’ Toys-for-Tots program. The Toy Mill opens at noon on Friday, Nov. 22.
• Come visit with Santa and his reindeer at the Lansing City Market, and enjoy free juice and cookies (while supplies last).
• Enjoy performances by nearly 50 regional arts and cultural organizations, school groups, storytellers, theatrical troupes, clowns,
hand-bell choirs and many others around downtown.
• Other event entertainment includes free admission and entertainment at more than 15 downtown cultural institutions, self-guided tours of the State Capitol and a live big-screen telecast of the festivities at the Lansing Center for those who would rather watch the parade indoors.
• In addition to these festivities, downtown stores and restaurants will be open late to kick-off holiday shopping and dining. Attendees are encouraged to arrive early and stay late to take in all that downtown Lansing has to offer.
• Live Broadcast: For those who cannot make it to Silver Bells in the City, the Electric Light Parade will be broadcast LIVE from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. on FOX 47 and WKAR.
Silver Bells in the City is free and open to the public. A project of Downtown Lansing Inc., Silver Bells in the City is produced with the assistance of many dedicated community volunteers from the city, state, downtown businesses and educational and cultural institutions.
The 29th Annual Silver Bells in the City is made possible through the support of many generous area sponsors, including Presenting Sponsor, the Lansing Board of Water and Light. The Electric Light Parade Sponsors are the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers, Local Union 665 and the Lansing Chapter of the National Electrical Contractors Association. The fireworks show is generously sponsored by Lake Trust Credit Union and the Fun Run is sponsored by Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan. Tripp’s Auto Collision Centers is the Silver Bells Shopping Village sponsor.
For more information, please visit www.silverbellsinthecity.org.