FIRST ON FOX UPDATE: Gas Main Break Forces Evacuation
FOX 47 News
UPDATE: LANSING-- Residents are being allowed back into their homes following a gas main break near downtown Lansing, Wednesday afternoon. The gas main break was reported in the 500 block of N. Sycamore Street shortly after 11:30 A.M.
Residents say they could hear a hissing sound and smell the gas. Firefighters went door-to-door in a block radius evacuating homes. Fire trucks and ambulances were kept close. No one was hurt. A CATA bus was driven to the scene, so people could stay cool in the air conditioned bus.
Consumers Energy spokesperson Terry DeDoes says they were able to stop the gas leak in about an hour. A 2-inch gas line had been struck by an excavating crew. The Lansing Board of Water and Light says they were digging to conduct some water line work at the residence there.
Consumers Energy says 5 homes are without their gas service, as repairs are made. They estimate those repairs to be completed by 3:30 P.M.
There is a large gas main break in the area of Sycamore St. and Genesee St. in the city of Lansing.
Emergency personnel are evacuating homes in the area and are requesting that people avoid the area.