Weather Alerts 9 View »

Update: Court Records Show Charges for I-96 Shooting Suspect

FOX 47 News

Update: Court Records Show Charges for I-96 Shooting Suspect

CREATED Nov. 7, 2012 - UPDATED: Nov. 7, 2012

Raulie Wayne Casteel, the 43-year-old man arrested Monday night in Wixom as the suspect in the I-96 corridor shootings, is expected to be arraigned in Howell today. The time of arraignment is not yet known.

Casteel will be arraigned on charges of felonious assault, carrying a weapon with unlawful intent, discharging a firearm from a vehicle and three counts of felony firearm - this, according to court records.

Casteel's mother, Lana Hunt, told the Detroit Free Press she had been worried her son was mentally ill, and tried to get him help.

 

We'll have more details as they become available.


 

The I-96 shooting suspect arrested late Monday in Wixom is expected to face charges today for 24 shooting incidents over the last few weeks.

Raulie Wayne Casteel was a graduate of St. Johns High School in 1987 and also graduated from Michigan State University.

Casteel’s mother told the Detroit Free Press she was worried her son was mentally ill and tried to get him help. “He trusted me, but I could not get him to see a doctor,” Lana Hunt, 62, of Brooksville, Fla., told the Free Press Tuesday evening.

Ingham County Sheriff Gene Wriggelsworth and the rest of the I-96 Task Force are confident that Casteel is the man they've been searching for since the middle of last month.

“The public can breathe a heavy sigh of relief today,” said Wriggelsworth on Tuesday. “It is my belief we have the person responsible. I’m confident we have the guy.”

Loading...