Update: Summit Twp Residents Return Home after Chlorine Leak
FOX 47 News
Photo: Video by fox47news.com
Dozens of Summit Township residents are finally getting back into their homes this morning after a chlorine leak at a nearby plant forced them to evacuate.
The chlorine leaks were found at about 5 p.m. on Sunday in three of the five containers at a water treatment plant substation on Christopher Road.
The Jackson County Sheriff's Department called a Hazmat team to haul away the leaking containers to ensure they do not crack again.
Chlorine is commonly used as a disinfectant for water supplies, but it can cause respiratory problems in high concentrations. That's why people in the surrounding area were asked to evacuate their homes as a precaution, while crews worked to contain the leak.
"I was sitting in the house and a policewoman came to the door and she just knocked and said we needed to evacuate and that there was a chlorine smell and I could smell a little bit," said Anne Boomstra. "I'm just really glad they caught it in time before it came to a big, bad disaster."
Residents were able to get back into their homes a little past 6 a.m. this morning.
Several homes in Summit Township were evacuated due to a chlorine leak at a water treatment plant.
It started Sunday evening near Christopher Street.
A staff member at the Jackson Fire Department says dozens of people had been moved into the Westwinds Community Church as a precaution. Summit Township Hazmat teams were on the scene trying to contain the leaks.
Another Hazmat team from Leslie was called in to assist.
Residents in other homes were told to shut their windows and close their doors.
Jackson County Sheriffs Office estimated residents would be able to return around 2 a.m.